Friday, April 3, 2015

just mean it

Dear Future Husband,

don't win me with words.

If you really think I'm beautiful, that's nice. I do like to hear that, but only tell me if you mean it. only tell me you love me... if you are sincere.

I don't want the empty space that comes after those words, when there is no action to back it up. I don't want the waiting, when I get my hopes up because you said such flattering words, and didn't mean them. Not if I know you are saying those same words to so many other girls at the same time. It's a little disenchanting to be honest.

When I feel beautiful, it will be because I know I am. When I feel confidant, I worked to get there.

I am done with empty promises. I am done with words. I am done with flattery and compliments.

The way it happens in the movies, you can get away with anything if only you have the right words to say. If you can smooth talk her, and make her swoon a little, sneak in an unwarranted kiss... you've got it made. That's all it takes.

But this future wife of yours is going to be a little harder to get than that, because she's learned.

When I was growing up, my dad taught me to show him what I meant, by backing it up with action. If I loved him, and I meant it, I would do as he asked.
If you love me, that's all I ask. Show me. Your actions, I promise, will speak louder than your words. They will last longer, and will mean so much more to me.

And by the way, that doesn't mean flowers or chocolate. Though I will graciously accept the gifts and be grateful for them (dark chocolate and daisies are my favorite in case you wanted to know), but make sure that you mean them. Make sure that they are not a facade. Because I'm done with fake. I'm done with superficial, stereotypical, and shallow. I'm done with the smooth talk, and the show. The act won't be enough.
But that is how I know you will be worth it in the end.

Thank you for listening to my rants, especially when they are a little ridiculous.
I love you.

Love,
Your future wife, (that is sorry she got a little irritated today)

1 comment:

  1. You are the smartest. Way to go after what you want! It took me a LONG time to learn how important actions are in relationships.

    ReplyDelete